September 16, 2008

The One Food I Never Tire Of - or - An Ode to Oatmeal


As a self-professed food snob, whose thoughts are always dominated by what I have recently eaten and what I will be eating next, some may describe me as a bit... difficult... when it comes to dining.  

My RU housemates may perhaps remember a time when I scowled at the prospect of a group outing to "that trucker place," Fuddruckers.  (Turns out, not so much a trucker place - and a pretty good burger... still haven't lived that down.)

So, I'm high maintenance when it comes to food.  I have cravings with a vengeance that rival women so pregnant and hormonally out-of-whack  that they look like they'll burst at the seams at any moment.   I continually change my mind.  One moment I want a tuna melt and the next a towering mound of chocolate chip cookies.  

However, there is one food that, for whatever reason, always manages to satiate me.  


Oatmeal.

Kind of odd.  Kind of random.  Kind of the standard favorite of a teething toddler or old person without any dentures.  But whatever.  It's so delicious!  And so good for you!

It has to be straight-up Old Fashioned Quaker Oats.  The instant stuff is nasty and mealy and would turn anyone off to the glories of oatmeal.  

Add desired amount of dark brown sugar.

Add a dash of milk (to add a cool and creamy goodness).

And, for the past year, I have created heaven in a bowl by adding just a sprinkling of chocolate chips, which melt into those oats and create the healthiest version of an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie that you have ever devoured.  

(Also delicious with fresh blueberries, strawberries, and walnuts.  Or in its naked brown sugar purity.)

I have this simple masterpiece at least once a day, usually for breakfast, but sometimes for lunch, midnight snack, or all of the above.

I highly recommend it.

No comments: