November 5, 2008

The Almost-Winter Blues



I can not even begin to tell you how much effort it took this afternoon, at 4:38 p.m. to get out of my sweatpants, get into my car, and drive - on roads - on those slick rainy mirror-like roads - in the dark (because we had to turn the stupid clocks back for absolutely no reason that I can see so it's already getting dismally dark at four o'clock in the afternoon) - where I actually had some contact with other humans - to Borders.

Yes, to Borders.

You see, this is what happens when you are jobless and bored.  It takes all of your willpower to exit your loungewear for a car trip.  Even though you are only going to Borders, because if you sit in your house for one more moment you might scream or cry or purge all of your belongings in an organizational fit before your mother can put a stop to it and remind you that you may want a few of these little memories fifty years from now to look back on when you're old and gray and "all you have are memories."

So that is what happened today.  I put on jeans (real clothes, like a real girl!) and shoes (not large fluffy slipper socks, but actual shoes!) and dragged myself to Borders to read magazines.  

Yes, it's a tough life.

*Note:  Just so you don't think I am a completely sad excuse for twenty-something life, I want to clear up that I am not quite as pathetic as this anecdote makes me seem.  I also go to the gym everyday.  And eat.  Quite often in fact!  I also apply for jobs.  And read many many many blogs.  Sometimes, when I'm feeling particularly ambitious, I even read the news!  For the past few days I've been overhauling my bedroom and attempting to throw out all of the useless shenanigans that for some reason I have felt the need to hold onto for decades, yet have never, ever, ever, ever in my whole wide life actually utilized, except for these periodic organizational-purges, when I pick it up and glance at it and go "huh, should I throw this away yet?"

{Photo via Vapilah}

No comments: