February 12, 2009

Page 196


I unlatched the shutters.  The light was as intense as a love affair.  I was blinded, delighted, not just because it was warm and wonderful, but because nature measures nothing.  Nobody needs this much sunlight.  Nobody needs droughts, volcanoes, monsoons, tornadoes either, but we get them, because our world is as extravagant as a world can be.  We are the ones obsessed by measurement.  THe world just pours it out.  

I went outside, tripping over slabs of sunshine the size of towns.  THe sun was like a crowd of people, it was a party, it was music.  The sun was blaring through the walls of the houses and beating down the steps.  THe sun was drumming time into the stone.  The sun was rhythming the day. 

"Why are you afraid?" I asked myself, because fear is at the bottom of everything, even love usually rests on fear.  "Why are you afraid, when whatever you do will die anyway?"

Lighthousekeeping, Jeanette Winterson

No comments: