July 28, 2010

Really depressing article

This article is hanging on the bulletin board in the kitchen at work. I read it while microwaving my pasta with butter and parmesean cheese.  Then I return to my desk to eat it…. while seated.  LAME.

Shall I summarize some of the inspirational highlights for you?

Men who spent more than 23 hours a week watching TV and sitting in their cars (as passengers or as drivers) had a 64 percent greater chance of dying from heart disease than those who sat for 11 hours a week or less. What was unexpected was that many of the men who sat long hours and developed heart problems also exercised. Quite a few of them said they did so regularly and led active lifestyles. The men worked out, then sat in cars and in front of televisions for hours, and their risk of heart disease soared, despite the exercise. Their workouts did not counteract the ill effects of sitting.

Most of us have heard that sitting is unhealthy. But many of us also have discounted the warnings, since we spend our lunch hours conscientiously visiting the gym. We consider ourselves sufficiently active. But then we drive back to the office, settle at our desks and sit for the rest of the day. We are, in a phrase adopted by physiologists, ‘‘active couch potatoes.’’*

Your muscles, unused for hours at a time, change in subtle fashion, and as a result, your risk for heart disease, diabetes and other diseases can rise.

Regular workout sessions do not appear to fully undo the effects of prolonged sitting.

Phys Ed:  "The Men Who Stare at Screens" by Gretchen Reynolds in the NY Times blog

*Do you think it helps that I am literally incapable of sitting still? Literally? I jiggle and bounce and bop around 24/7, much to the dismay of all those around me? Has to help right?


Ah ha!  I'm not alone!  Note the article comments:


100. July 14, 2010 4:34 pm
All this mouse clicking, keyboard typing, nervous bouncing leggy thing, moving in chair to get comfortable… that has to burn a lot of calories per hour. I also have to climb one flight of stairs many times a day to get various things (often times chocolate). That’s a workout out, right? That’s my desperate hope ’cause I spend waaay to much time sitting at a computer. I’m addicted. I’m hooked at night surfing endlessly while keeping my skype wide open in case various people around the world get online. I rarely sit and watch tv anymore. I could easily live without tv. The internet is my drug of choice. I really hope those dudes are just talking about tv potatoes but I’m pretty sure the bull’s eye is on me too. I’ve got two nervous bouncy leggy things going after that article.— Rinjin

1 comment:

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

EEEK. That makes me want to get up off my couch right now! Thank you so much for entering our giveaway for The Sart and Domino books!