September 9, 2008

The book that wouldn't end

So, this week's goal is to finally finish reading Roberto Bolaño's monster book, The Savage Detectives, which has been following me from pool to nightstand to J's house for months and months.  

Don't get me wrong, it's a really good book - it has a unique, complex narrative structure and interesting story line.  But sometimes, no matter how good the book, it simply refuses to end.  

Anyway, since I vowed to J that I will finish this blasted book by the next RU game (Thursday, 8 p.m.) I will be needing book suggestions.  Just wondering if anyone has read anything good lately!

Sidenote:  I am still completely flabbergasted and outraged that the original Spanish version, Los detectives salvajes, is impossible to find.  How can a book that the NY Times, Amazon, and everyone else in the country drooled over as one of the best of the year be MIA in its original language?

1 comment:

Brandi said...

Okay, I'm totally going to show my dorky side right now and tell you that you should try "Twilight" by Stephanie Meyer. It's a total guilty pleasure read, which it sounds like you may need after the book that would never end...