February 21, 2012

Eat: Cafe Lalo (201 W. 83rd Street)

If you want a super charming spot to really feel New Yorky - the whole tables-jammed-close-together-breathing-down-your-fellow-diners-necks while soaked in an exposed-brick, twinkle-lit ambiance kinda thing - then proceed directly to Cafe Lalo

We went for dessert on Friday night after Columbus Tavern, along with what seemed like half of the Upper Westside. It was so freaking cute I didn't even mind that I had to do gymnastics to get to my table. Its claim to fame is being featured in the movie You've Got Mail.
The dessert selection is mind-numbing. The menu is literally 10 pages long. Unfortunately, I wasn't thrilled with my choice. Though featured as one of "Lalo's Suggestions," I just wasn't feeling the Chocolate Raspberry Delight. Anything I'm supposed to be ingesting should not be such an unnatural shade of magenta. Not enough chocolate flavor, too much fake raspberry flavor.
Jared, however, was beyond in love with his Chocolate Peanut Butter Mousse cake. So much so that we had to make a return trip a few nights later so he could get a piece to go. This time I tried the Hazelnut Mousse cake and was really pleasantly surprised - tasted just like a Roche chocolate, which can only be a good thing in my book.

The cappuccinos are Jared-approved. The cakes weren't earth shattering, but the ambiance makes up for it.

No comments: